Errata and technical updates
Thanks to Pekka Kilpeläinen, Michael Kay, Kristian Espensen, M. Kjeldsen,
Hans F. Nordhaug, Mark B. Josephs, Norbert Voelker, Henrik Davidsen, Karsten Kynde,
Mads Landrock, and Simon Lykke for reporting errors.
back to the main page
- p.17 Figure 1.2. "italics" should be "italic".
- p.36 Figure 2.2. Node C should be included in the "leaves".
- p.54 line 13. "amount element" should be "amount attribute".
- p.64 line -1. There is a way around the design bug: use the functions local-name and namespace-uri.
- p.78 and p.248. "2005/04" should be "2005" in the XPath namespace URIs (this changed when XPath 2.0 moved to Candidate Recommendation).
- p.82 line 12. The URL should be "http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions" (the other URL points to an old version).
- p.89 line -6. The URL should be "http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath" (without the trailing '/').
- p.90: The home page for the XPath Visualizer has moved to http://www.topxml.com/xpathvisualizer/ - an alternative
tool is the XPath Explorer available from http://www.purpletech.com/xpe/.
- p.90: Exercise 3.6. Add parentheses around e.g. (//rcp:ingredient) as explained on p.69.
- p.91: With the (current version of) the Saxon tool, you should use the default namespace (i.e., no prefix) rather than the fn prefix for XPath function names.
- p.95 line -1 and p.100 line 18. The expressions should be "caption? ( col* | colgroup* ) thead? tfoot? ( tbody+ | tr+ )" and "(caption?, (col*|colgroup*), thead?, tfoot?, (tbody+|tr+))", respectively.
- p.123 line 12-13. There is in fact another way to write this: <union memberTypes="boolean decimal"/>.
- p.139. The discussion of qualified vs. unqualified locals is slightly misleading: a name is qualified if it is associated with a non-empty namespace URI
(in particular, non-prefixed names may be qualified).
- p.140 line 4. "/>" should be ">".
- p.147 line 10. "one or more" should be "zero or more".
- p.149 line 8. ref="b:email" should be name="email".
- p.184. The 'any' construct in XML Schema makes it possible to go slightly beyond the class of single-type
tree grammars. For more information, see http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=2231
and also Section 3.2.7 of "Taxonomy of XML Schema Languages Using Formal Language Theory",
Murata, Lee, Mani and Kawaguchi, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, 5(4), 2005.
It is expected that a future revision of XML Schema will remedy this situation.
- p.186 line -4: "and only" should be "and only if"
- p.214 line -6: The instructions apply-templates and attribute should be swapped.
- pp.227-229. The transformation being described can in fact (easily) be expressed in XSLT 1.0. However, many compositions can only be expressed
with cumbersome encodings making them practically useless. (An example is a composition of sorting, grouping, and totalling a table of data.)
- p.246 line 17. "schemas languages" should be "schema languages".
- p.253. Computed namespaces have been deprecated (used 3 places). Use namespace declarations in the prolog instead.
- p.257 line 18 and p.258 line 12. Brackets are missing inside the title element.
- p.258 line 26 and p.266 line 10. "document" should be "doc".
- p.276 line 15. Some lines are missing in the example...
- p.297 line 15. The line with the if check should be removed.
- pp.328-329. Updated example: recipes.stx
- pp.332-333. The example program contains two typos. The correct version is here:
- pp.334-338. The Xact system has been revised since the book was printed. Updated examples: PhoneList.xact, Flatten.xact. See http://www.brics.dk/Xact for more information.
- p.344 line -5. "though" should be "through".
- p.355 line 2. "freewig.brics.dk/freewig.brics.dk" should be "freewig.brics.dk".
- p.363 line 17. "as long string" should be "as a long string".
- p.386 line 7. "<HTML><HEAD>" is missing.
- p.392 line -11. "then used" should be "then be used".
- p.448. With Internet Explorer, button elements with type="submit" do not work according to the
HTML specification. The bug is discussed here.
- pp.481-488. "2004/08" and "2004/03" should be "2006/01" (this changed when WSDL 2.0 moved to Candidate Recommendation).
- p.465 line 9. "\%" should be "%" (twice).
- p.524. "The deployment of the server" should be "The deployment of the client".